This little copper piece is waiting for a home.
It’s about 2.5 inches square. The background and figure window are copper. The tube rivets and spacers are brass.
3D pierced bird
The background pattern was printed onto the copper using a commercial pattern sheet with the rolling mill. The bird figure is a simplified outline taken from a Dutch tile that I found in a book.
The pierced piece floats over the background.
about 1⁄4 inch between the layers
There is about 1⁄4 inch between the plates.
tube rivets with spacers
From the back you can see the hollow rivets.
showing the rivets from the back
I suspect that this piece will end up as part of something larger. Perhaps a box.
Meanwhile it’s living on the design wall.
bird window waiting for further inspiration
Progress has been made on the ring.
A flat piece of copper was hammered and then cut into a circle.
That circle was dapped into a dome shape.
The the tree bit was soldered onto the domed bit, making a hollow ornament
A chunk of 12 gauge half round sterling wire was made into a ring band.
The top was then sodlered to the ring band and… voila …
the front of the ring
ring face soldered onto the ring band
ring from the side
I happen to be pretty dang proud of my first “real” soldering project.
Next up the finishing. In the end the top of the ring will be black and the band will be satin finished silver.
I’m taking Jewelry and Metalsmithing 1 at the Pratt Fine Arts Center.
Our first project is a ring. The top is made of a piece of pierced copper soldered to a half dome. Below are pictures of the two tops that I made last week. The pattern is gluesd on with rubber cement and then holes are drilled in the copper so that you can thread a jewelr’s saw through it and make the cuts.
The first ones didn’t quite workout. The rays on the start just wouldn’t stay straight. More practice is clearly the answer.
moon and stars pierced copper
The second piece worked nicely.
tree design pattern
The circle on the front shows where the half dome will be soldered on.
From the top it will look like this.
More next week when I make the dome and learn how to solder things that aren’t carrying electricity.