Category Archives: technique

New Techniques

I’ve got a shiny new copy of Pho­to­shop CS3 and have been exper­i­ment­ing.

In Pho­to­shop Cre­ative Col­lec­tion v3 (no link avail­able) there’s a tech­nique that mim­ics pen and ink. Some­thing that is sim­i­lar to some water­col­or and ink work that I did a cou­ple of years ago.

I did the tuto­r­i­al and got this effect.

section of tutorial exercise

Which I liked well enough but I think the ink lines are a bit crude. Per­haps as a result of my not being a true ace with the graph­ics tablet, yet.

I’ve gone on to exper­i­ment with some oth­er images and am slow­ly devel­op­ing a ver­sion of the tech­nique that I like.

For some pieces I’m build­ing the col­or in Pho­to­shop and then print­ing the piece and ink­ing it my hand. I like the results I’m get­ting from print­ing on 140# cold press water­col­or paper. (Usu­al­ly the smoother side.) It takes ink from the inkjet well and the slight tex­ture gives the hand inked lines a nice vari­a­tion.

I’m also try­ing to find ways of cre­at­ing a black-line lay­er with­in Pho­to­shop. It’s tricky to get the over­lay to have enough infor­ma­tion to pick out the details of the image with­out over­whelm­ing the nice blocks and blobs of col­or that I work so hard to make.

balloon seller

This is part of a piece based on a pho­to­graph that my hus­band took in Oax­a­ca. I used a hand­ful of fil­ters to cre­ate the black over­lay. (I can go back and look them up if you want the gory details.)

I think this has promise.

Oh and if you were here with me look­ing out my win­dow you’d see this.

view out of my window

snow — Yikes!

Sewing — Pink Boucle Purse

My first exper­i­ment in build­ing a struc­tured purse.

I used the Dorothy/Evelyn pat­tern from Emma Brennan’s Mak­ing Vin­tage Bags. Charm­ing bags and good instruc­tions — a love­ly book.

The pink boucle fab­ric jumped off the shelf at me in JoAnn’s one after­noon. It seemed like some­thing that should be made into a Chanel jack­et but I can’t wear that much pink and I have no occa­sion to wear a “suit” so…

pink boucle purse

pink boucle purse

I already had the lin­ing, and the but­ton was in the mis­cel­la­neous box. I had though I want­ed a pink vel­vet bow — there’s one in the book — but find­ing pink short pile vel­vet turned out to be a fool’s errand. So the aqua but­ton stepped in. I think it works well.

lining and magnetic snap

lin­ing and mag­net­ic snap 

The exper­i­men­tal part was the inter­fac­ing. I want­ed struc­ture so I used a heavy craft weight inter­fac­ing Pel­lon — Pel­tex 70. Imag­ing some­thing that is almost like pack­ing felt — and real­ly stiff. It’s easy enough to work with, and gives a nice plump feel­ing to the purse and keeps the body from col­laps­ing but… it’s wonky. I couldn’t fig­ure out just how or why but the result was not pleas­ing.

buckling on the top edge

buck­ling on the top edge

Leave it to the DH to make sense of my intu­itions. The prob­lem is sim­i­lar to “oil-can­ning” in sheet met­al. Sort of… (You can find the wierdest stuff on the inter­net!)

In this case the prob­lem is that the Pel­met does not roll grace­ful­ly, it buck­les instead, giv­ing the wonky top edge that I didn’t like.

After mess­ing about with a piece of left­over Pel­met I’ve con­clud­ed that there is no way to make it roll smooth­ly over a radius as small as the top edge of a clutch. I can see where I would want to use Pel­met for some­thing like a buck­et tote, or the sides of a bol­ster clutch but it isn’t the right mate­r­i­al for this project.

Ho hum, on to the next one…