Monthly Archives: August 2008

Pellon (sewing products) is not well served by it’s web presence.

BTW find­ing on-line infor­ma­tion for Pel­lon sewing prod­ucts is dif­fi­cult. When I was work­ing on the pre­vi­ous post I want­ed to put in a link to the prod­uct page for the inter­fac­ing that I was talk­ing about. Clar­i­ty and all that…

Not so easy it turns out.

www​.pel​lon​.com is the home page of Finnish com­pa­ny that pro­duces farm­ing equip­ment. (Well worth a cou­ple of min­utes rum­mag­ing through the pig­gery equip­ment…)

www​.pel​lonideas​.com is the bad­ly orga­nized, un-proof-read, con­sumer prod­ucts site. A bit of shov­el­ware, some press releas­es, and a hand­ful of craft projects. When I entered Pel­tex in the search box it came back emp­ty, and the menus… The Infor­ma­tion Archi­tect is cry­ing…

www​.shop​pel​lon​.com aka Prod­ucts A La Carte actu­al­ly has prod­uct infor­ma­tion and will sell you Pel­lon prod­ucts. But bloody hell — it doesn’t even show up on the first page of Google results for “Pel­lon Inter­fac­ing.”

Sewing — Pink Boucle Purse

My first exper­i­ment in build­ing a struc­tured purse.

I used the Dorothy/Evelyn pat­tern from Emma Brennan’s Mak­ing Vin­tage Bags. Charm­ing bags and good instruc­tions — a love­ly book.

The pink boucle fab­ric jumped off the shelf at me in JoAnn’s one after­noon. It seemed like some­thing that should be made into a Chanel jack­et but I can’t wear that much pink and I have no occa­sion to wear a “suit” so…

pink boucle purse

pink boucle purse

I already had the lin­ing, and the but­ton was in the mis­cel­la­neous box. I had though I want­ed a pink vel­vet bow — there’s one in the book — but find­ing pink short pile vel­vet turned out to be a fool’s errand. So the aqua but­ton stepped in. I think it works well.

lining and magnetic snap

lin­ing and mag­net­ic snap 

The exper­i­men­tal part was the inter­fac­ing. I want­ed struc­ture so I used a heavy craft weight inter­fac­ing Pel­lon — Pel­tex 70. Imag­ing some­thing that is almost like pack­ing felt — and real­ly stiff. It’s easy enough to work with, and gives a nice plump feel­ing to the purse and keeps the body from col­laps­ing but… it’s wonky. I couldn’t fig­ure out just how or why but the result was not pleas­ing.

buckling on the top edge

buck­ling on the top edge

Leave it to the DH to make sense of my intu­itions. The prob­lem is sim­i­lar to “oil-can­ning” in sheet met­al. Sort of… (You can find the wierdest stuff on the inter­net!)

In this case the prob­lem is that the Pel­met does not roll grace­ful­ly, it buck­les instead, giv­ing the wonky top edge that I didn’t like.

After mess­ing about with a piece of left­over Pel­met I’ve con­clud­ed that there is no way to make it roll smooth­ly over a radius as small as the top edge of a clutch. I can see where I would want to use Pel­met for some­thing like a buck­et tote, or the sides of a bol­ster clutch but it isn’t the right mate­r­i­al for this project.

Ho hum, on to the next one…

WIP — The Loop Road Project (pop-ups)

Our recent vaca­tion gave Jim the chance to take a lot of pic­tures of motor­cy­cles and rid­ers on the prover­bial “closed course.” Some of them are in fact “pro­fes­sion­al rid­ers.”

I now have tons of unclut­tered pho­tos to work with. Hence the cre­ation of a new series of work, this time in engi­neered paper.

First up:

Solo Red Bike

Not a very imag­i­na­tive name I know.

I had to remove the rid­er from the orig­i­nal pho­to in order to have a clear back­ground. Now that I’ve seen the piece assem­bled I think that I could have left the rid­er on the back­ground and sim­ply built the images out from there. It wouldn’t be as dynam­ic an image but it would have saved a bunch of time eras­ing the rid­er and bike and rebuild­ing the back­ground.

red solo rider - closeup

red solo rid­er — close­up

Assem­bly began with print­ing and cut­ting out six copies of the rid­er. Tabs are attached to the fronts of 5 of the images and the base (shad­ow) is fold­ed for­ward so that it will show when the rid­er group is attached to the card.

all six rider images

all six rid­er images

Here the rid­ers are attached to one anoth­er. I used a strip under the shad­ows to give the bases some­thing to stick to while I was attach­ing all the pieces. I left the strip under the rid­ers because it made glu­ing the bases down in the right spots eas­i­er. (I should have got­ten a pic­ture before I glued it all down!)

Red Solo Rider rider images linked

Red Solo Rid­er rid­er images linked

Here’s the fin­ished pro­to­type.

Red Solo Rider
Red Solo Rid­er

It was a lit­tle con­fus­ing in Mary­hill with every­one switch­ing up the bikes and rid­ers. To the best of my knowl­edge that is Tim Keene on Rolf Vitous’ pret­ty red record hold­ing bike. I’ll ask for the details next time I see Rolf.

I have a num­ber of oth­er pho­tos that I’ll be using over the next cou­ple of weeks.

Buffalo — Newly Arrived from Mexico

We’re just back from the Gath­er. (Pho­tos here.)

Yes­ter­day this fine fel­low arrived from Mex­i­co (via San Diego.)

handcarved and handpainted buffalo

He was carved and paint­ed by our friends Jacobo and Maria Ange­les who live and work in Tilca­jete, Oax­a­ca. You can see more of their work on their web page. (If you get a chance to stop by thi­er restau­rant I rec­om­mend the Chile de Agua Rel­lenos. Wicked good.)

side view of the buffalo

We ordered the buf­fa­lo when we were in Oax­a­ca in Feb­ru­ary. The carv­ing was already done and we chose the basic col­or mix but the details of the paint­ing is always left up to the painter. It’s always a sur­prise when the piece arrives.

The head shot shows some of the details and his lit­tle bit of a frown.

buffalo head

I have sev­er­al pieces that Jacobo has made for me. All cats, until this one. One of these days I’ll dig out pic­tures of the rest of our pieces and some of our vis­its to Jacobo and Maria’s house.