Our egg factories continue to receive far too much attention and far too many luxuries. Especially considering they haven’t produced a single egg yet.
Over the weekend we built a fence to surround the Chicken Taj Mahal. The fence isn’t designed so much to keep anything out as to keep the chickens in. Chickens are a major pain in the garden.
When we first moved the little chickens out to the coop we built them a little yard using some exercise pens and bird netting. The danger for little birds is that the crows will kill them.
The chickens are now plenty big enough to be out of crow danger but they were quickly out growing their little “play pen” so it was time to build a proper chicken yard.
Because the coop is inside the electric fence there’s not too much problem with coyotes or dogs. So the fence only has to keep chickens in — meaning it can be 3 or 4 feet tall. (Fliers get their wing feathers shortened)
The first step is gather up (buy — ouch!) your fencing materials.
Then you dig some post holes. Here at Black Dog Farm that means you put the backhoe on the tractor and make big holes in the ground.
You get something that looks like this.
Some of the rocks have to be taken out with a pike. Ones like the one next to the five gallon bucket.
Then you set up the posts. As demostrated by our dedicated engineer.
Getting the posts in is the first challenge. Then you have to wrestle with the fencing and install the rails.
I ran out of patience for the picture taking and smashed my thumb — it’s very purple — while we were tacking the wire fencing up.
But here it is assembled and doing its job of containing the chickens. We kept the gate section from the original playpen yard because it was much easier than building a gate.
A few months ago I moved some things — including the files for this blog — around on the servers. It all seemed to go just fine — until…
I upgraded the wordpress installs. All the older image links broke. Luckily I figured out just how they broke. It’s taken a couple of hours but all the images and links in the older posts and gallery pages should work again.
Last week in the garden we had:
Daisies everywhere. The pasture is covered with them.
On the west side of the house we have the slender deutzia in bloom at the back of the herb bed.
And sea pinks surrounding the inceeasingly tall lily stalks.
My peonies are almost ready to bloom. Actually this picture is form several days ago and the first two blooms have appeared. (And immediately been cut and taking into the house!)
Last weekend we cleaned up a few more beds. This is the one next to the garage. On the east side of the house it gets a lot of shade and stays fairly moist. So I have hostas, irises, and a couple of grasses in it. Also a bunch of stuff that I put in three years ago and am to lazy to go dig through the files to figure out what it is.
My irises are oddly pale this year. The cat is a standard issue ginger barn cat. So the color of the photo isn’t off by much.
This little harlequin dancer is sitting on my worktable waiting for a face. That’s always the hard part.
I started with the doll parts and some fancy red and gold paper that became her tights.
Then she got a skirt.
I started with some organza and cut two layers. the upper layer is notched and then the edge is finished with a blanket stitch and some gold beads. Getting the beads to sit just right was a bit fiddly and I had to wear my reading glasses to see what I was doing. I don’t think I’ll try this with smaller beads!
In the corner of the page containing a pattern for cutting out a jointed paper doll.
1. Enlarge or reduce template to desired size.
2. Cut out.
3. Embellish and attach pieces together.
I think these may be the lost directions for life.