The painters arrive tomorrow to finish the great house painting project. They will be painting my office, the DH’s office, and my studio. I am working out of a little rolling cart on the kitchen counter. Severely limited in terms of materials and tools.
The House of Mythical Creatures is on hold for the week. It’s ready for each of the images to be mounted. I have to figure out how I’m going to attach the images one to another. I’m thinking about some sort of bookbinding. Hence my project for the next week is to experiment with some ways of binding books.
Today I made (my first) two books.
A strange little folded book whose pages open up further than you think they ought to. I think it’s boring. But the technique of simply attaching the pages to a continuous backing has merit. It would have to be more than just a line of black mat boards taped together, that’s boring too.
The second book looks like a checkerboard with overlapping pages with cutouts. I can’t really see how it fits with THMC. This one has possibilities for some other projects rattling around in the back of my head though. Especially once I get over the idea that the cutaways have to be square. I’ll make some more of these in the next couple of days.
I have discovered that I still get annoyed when cut lines and parts don’t line up exactly. I’ve always been particular about those sorts of things. Luckily I have learned a number of tricks over the years. Story sticks and cutting multiples in one go are the first two I used.
The instructions for the checkerboard book called for cutting out six templates (from a xerox) and then tracing the templates onto the page paper and then cutting those out. A recipe for disaster. Much better to figure out the dimensions of the full page (3−3÷4″ high x 5″ wide plus a 7⁄8″ gutter) and cut a bunch of page blanks. Then I could figure out the dimensions of the cutaways (1−1÷4″ square) and take them out of the full size pages. Except the little tiny one at the front. I just cut that one on it’s own.
PS Yes, I realize that there are no decent pictures of recent work on THMC. I’ll fix that soon.
edited 25.june.2008 to correct image links